Learn about the changing dynamics of online gaming.
There’s a certain cinematic appeal to a roulette game. You step up to the table. You bet money on your lucky number. You watch as the roulette ball spins—first quickly around the wheel, then slowing until finally, it comes to rest on the winning number.
Did you win?
Regardless of the outcome of that hypothetical spin, one thing is certain: betting everything on one number is not a smart winning strategy. If you’re more interested in earning big than a cinematic experience, this guide will go over how to win at roulette by explaining the best betting strategy to win big.
Best Bets: What the Odds Say
The first thing you need to know when you step up to a roulette table is that no roulette system will ensure you can win every time. Unless you’re playing a rigged game, the roulette betting odds will not be in your favor. Just look at the odds for winning a straight roulette bet where you choose a number and bet it:
- There are 37 slots on a roulette wheel. That means your odds of winning are 1 in 37.
- Payouts for a straight bet are 35:1. Meaning a $10 straight bet that hits would pay out $350.
- Truly fair odds would be 37:1 (since the odds of hitting are 1 in 37). However, this is how casinos ensure that they make their money.
As you can see, the odds are against you, but that shouldn’t dissuade you. As long as you bet within your budget, roulette is a fun game where you absolutely can come out on top. So let’s look at the bets most likely to result in you earning some winnings.
American vs. European
Before we even get into the bets, we need to start by talking about the wheel itself. There are two varieties: American roulette and European roulette. The odds cited above are for a European wheel. If you’re playing on an American roulette wheel, your odds are slightly worse. This is because American wheels have 38 slots (they have an extra green 00 slot). So your chances of winning are now 1 in 38.
However, the payouts remain the same regardless of what type of wheel you play on.
Takeaway: Play the European roulette wheel whenever you can.
Imago Images / Sven Simon
Inside vs. Outside Bets
Onto the betting system. There are two basic categories of betting when it comes to roulette:
- Inside – These are bets on certain roulette numbers. For instance, if you bet on the winning number to be 3, you would be making an inside bet. You can also pair numbers that are close on the wheel to better your odds of hitting. These bets are less likely to hit but can lead to big winnings when they do. Examples include:
- Straight – 35:1 payout. This is a bet on one number.
- Split – 17:1 payout. You split the bet between two numbers that are next to each other on the table.
- Street – 11:1 payout. Split the bet between three numbers.
- Square –8:1 payout. Split the bet between four numbers
- Outside – Outside bets are so named because you find them on the outside of the roulette table. They are bets placed on bunches of numbers. Your chances of hitting are much higher, but the payouts are lower as a result. Examples include:
- Red/Black – You’re just betting on what color will hit. Since there’s at least one green slot, your chances are slightly under 50%. Pays 1:1.
- High/Low – The wheel is split 1-18 (low) and 19-36 (high). Pays 1:1
- Odds/Evens – Will the winning number be odd or even? Pays 1:1
- Dozens – Now we split the wheel three ways 1-12, 13-24, 25-36. Pays 2:1
- Columns – When you look at a roulette table, the numbers are placed in three columns. You bet on which column holds the winning number. Pays 2:1
It’s worth noting that if the ball lands on 0 (a green slot), every outside bet loses. The same goes for 00 on an American table.
Takeaway: Slow and steady wins the race. Stick to outside bets as your best roulette strategy, with small sprinklings of inside bets to add some risk.
When it comes to how much real money you should be betting, the answer ultimately lies within you. Remember that the odds aren’t in your favor, so only bet what you can lose. If you do have enough of a bankroll, certain strategies can help you maximize your winnings:
- Martingale – Start with a modest bet. After each loss, double your bet. This means when you win, you’ll cover all your losses. But if you’re on a cold streak, that doubling can result in big losses fast.
- Fibonacci – The Fibonacci Sequence is a set of numbers that add the previous two numbers together to get the next number. It starts 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13…etc. Use this the same way as Martingale, progressing to the next number after every loss. This is a slightly slower progression for less overall risk.
- D’Alembert – This strategy sees you upping your bet after every loss (like the last two strategies) but also lowering your bet after every win. This progression is slower, so you’re unlikely to hit table limits and can keep using the strategy for longer.
These are just a few examples. There are many betting strategies you can try (including reverse Martingale or Fibonacci where you progress after wins instead of losses). These can all help you maximize your winnings, but none are fail proof. You still need to be responsible and set your own limits. Remember, roulette is a way to have fun, not a sound investment strategy.
Spin the Wheel at Tipico Casino
Wondering how to win at the roulette table? When stepping up to the roulette table, you can increase your odds by knowing the type of wheel you’re playing on, identifying which type of bets you want to play, and incorporating a few betting strategies.
If you’re ready to give things a spin, look no further than Tipico Casino. Our online casino has roulette, blackjack, poker, and more. If you have other questions such as how to win at slots or other casino games, our resource center has you covered.
Live like a high roller from the comfort of your own home. Try Tipico Casino today!