The SMU Mustangs and BYU Cougars will match up in the New Mexico Bowl. The Mustangs are the favorites, expected to win by at least a field goal but less than a touchdown (currently -4). The over/under for this one is set at 64 points.
The Mustangs are 4-point favorites in their matchup with the Cougars. The over/under is set at 64 points.
Play Now with Tipico Sportsbook
Odds and Game Info
- Game Day: Saturday, December 17, 2022
- Game Time: 7:30 PM ET
- TV Channel: ABC
- Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Stadium: University Stadium (NM)
- Spread Favorite: SMU (-4)
- Moneyline: SMU (-184), BYU (+155)
- Total: 64 Points
SMU Betting Info
- SMU has five wins in 12 games against the spread this season.
- SMU has won twice ATS (2-3) as a 4-point or bigger favorite this year.
- This season, five of SMU's 12 games have gone over the point total.
- The Mustangs were favored on the moneyline six times this season, and won all of those games.
- The Mustangs have won all four games they have played with moneyline odds of -184 or shorter.
BYU Betting Info
- BYU is 4-7-0 against the spread this year.
- BYU has one win ATS (1-1) as a 4-point underdog or greater this year.
- BYU has played 11 games this season, and seven of them have gone over the total.
- This season, the Cougars have been the underdog three times and won one of those games.
- The Cougars have played as an underdog of +155 or more once this season and won that game.
SMU vs. BYU Comparison
Compare 2022 season stats for Mustangs and Cougars
||Pass yards against
||Rush yards against
- Tanner Mordecai has compiled 3,306 yards (275.5 ypg) on 261-of-406 passing with 31 touchdowns compared to nine interceptions this season.
- Tyler Lavine has carried the ball 119 times for a team-high 551 yards on the ground and has found the end zone nine times as a runner.
- Velton Gardner has piled up 368 yards on 70 carries, scoring one time.
- Rashee Rice has hauled in 96 receptions for 1,355 yards (112.9 yards per game) to lead the team so far this season. He's found the end zone 10 times as a receiver.
- Jordan Kerley has hauled in 31 receptions totaling 538 yards, finding the end zone five times as a receiver so far this campaign.
- Dylan Goffney has been the target of 22 passes and racked up 18 receptions for 369 yards, an average of 30.8 yards per contest. He's found the end zone two times through the air this season.
- Nelson Paul has five sacks to pace the team, and also has five TFL and 38 tackles.
- Jimmy Phillips Jr., SMU's top tackler, has 59 tackles, four TFL, and one sack this year.
- Nick Roberts has a team-high three interceptions to go along with 49 tackles and three passes defended.
- Jaren Hall has been a dual threat for BYU this season. He has 3,171 passing yards (264.3 per game) while completing 66% of his passes. He's thrown 31 touchdown passes and six interceptions this season. On the ground, he's compiled 348 yards (29 ypg) on 86 carries with three rushing touchdowns.
- Christopher Brown Jr. has run for 725 yards on 111 carries so far this year while scoring five times on the ground.
- Puka Nacua leads his squad with 625 receiving yards on 48 catches with five touchdowns.
- Keanu Hill has 36 receptions (on 51 targets) for a total of 572 yards (47.7 yards per game) and seven touchdowns this year.
- Kody Epps' 53 targets have resulted in 39 receptions for 459 yards and six touchdowns.
- Lorenzo Fauatea has 2.5 sacks to lead the team, and also has three TFL and 12 tackles.
- Ben Bywater, BYU's top tackler, has 51 tackles, one TFL, one sack, and two interceptions this year.
- Max Tooley leads the team with three interceptions, while also collecting 38 tackles, two TFL, one sack, and three passes defended.
Start a Streak with Tipico Sportsbook
SMU vs. BYU Over/Under Trends
- In seven games this season, SMU and its opponents have scored more than 64 combined points.
- BYU has played three games this season that finished with a combined score higher than 64 points.
- The average point total in SMU's games this year is 66.4, 2.4 more than this matchup's over/under.
- BYU has a 57.5-point average over/under in their matchups this season, 6.5 fewer points than this game's point total.
This article does not represent the views of Tipico. The article was prepared by a third-party and references information for entertainment purposes only. It is not meant to represent advice or solicitation. Terms Apply. 21+ only. Bet with your head, not over it. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ, OH), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA),1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN).